I have noticed over the past few days a definite change in the weather and behavior of the animals that frequent my garden.These changes usually coincide with teachers and students returning to the
classroom. In the past few days I have noticed the Yellowjackets beginning to swarm around a nest I did not know existed. As I watch the yellow finches feeding seed from my dying purple coneflowers I got to thinking about all the indicators that Fall was on its way.
I decided to put together my list of changes that tells me Fall in definitely coming, even thought the temperatures are going back up into the upper eighties next week.
1. New drivers of Yellow School Buses trying to figure out their new route for the year.
2. Stores running Back To School ads.
3. Favorite Summer flowers going to seed.
4. Bumper crop of Summer Squash and tiring to figure out what to do with it.
5. Morning drive to work taking even longer, now that the children are going back to school.
6. Morning Fog and dew on the plants.
7. A cool crispness to the air causing one to reach for a sweater.
8. The smell of wood burning.
9. The never ending job of raking falling leaves.
These are only a few of mine, I hope you'll share some of your favorites with us.
Art by S'anna